Saturday, May 24, 2008

Light bulbs

When did the light bulb come on for you? Or has it yet? For me, it was sitting in a hospital bed covered in my own puke and desperately needing a shower (inside and out). All of a sudden I realized that my best efforts to make it on my own had resulted in me taking 30 sleeping pills, half dead in a coma, covered in regurgitated charcoal. If my best efforts had gotten me in this position then there was no way I would get myself out.
Paul says in Ephesians 2:8 - 10, "God saved you by His special favor when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things He planned for us long ago."
When I realize that God told Jesus He was proud of Him just for being His Son, it helps me understand that everyday I am alive I must rely totally on God's grace (special favor). It is only through God's grace that I was saved, it is only through God's grace that I can overcome any kind of addiction and it is only God's grace that would cause my heavenly Father to want to use me to reach out to you right now.
So when did the light bulb come on for you? Or did it JUST happen?

No comments: