Monday, June 2, 2008

Boundaries...

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Daniel 1:8 where it says that Daniel purposed in his heart not to defile himself with the kings food. I realized long ago that for me to be successful at beating my addiction I would have to purpose in my heart not to defile myself. This meant setting up boundaries. Here are a few things I've come up with:

  1. Keep my computer in a public place where my wife can come in anytime and see the screen
  2. My wife knows the passwords to all of the accounts I have, including this one (facebook, myspace, att email, gmail, etc., etc.) and she can check them anytime she wants
  3. We always check movies before we go see or rent them (http://www.screenit.com/) for language, sex, nudity, violence, etc., etc.
  4. Accountability partner (much like the relationship Paul had with Barnabus)
  5. Mentor (Paul to Timothy) who shares with me their wisdom
  6. Mentee (if that's a word, Timothy to Paul) who I can help, which also takes the focus off of my problem and forces me to help somebody else out of the same situation I was in
  7. Don't aimlessly surf the internet or television (I have to admit that this is one that God has really been dealing with me about but I'm getting better)
  8. Spend time in prayer and Bible reading everyday!!!
  9. Share my testimony with as many people as will listen (not only is this liberating but it also helps me stay accountable because I know others are watching me)
  10. Be careful what I let into my heart whether it's through music, friends, television, movies, etc., etc.

These are just a few things that help me. So what does your list look like?

No comments: